The Japan Foundation is now calling for application for travel grant. This Summer Institute is aimed to provide opportunities for young researchers and graduate students to improve their research methods and abilities, and build a trilateral network of researchers between Japan, the U.S., and Southeast Asia.
The Summer Institute will be held as specified below. Further details will be provided to successful applicants upon selection.
‣ Duration............ Thu. July 6 – Mon. July 10, 2017
‣ Location............ Tokyo and Hayama (Kanagawa prefecture)
‣ Participants......... About 24 researchers from Japan, the U.S., and 10
ASEAN countries in Southeast Asia
‣ Optional Tour
1. Duration: Tue. July 11 - Wed. July 12
2. Location: Under consideration including disaster areas and reconstructed areas of the 3/11 Great East Japan Earthquake.
Eligibility Applicant must meet all of the following criteria.
1. A graduate student or a scholar affiliated with an institution of higher education or research institution in Japan, the U.S., or one of the 10
ASEAN countries in Southeast Asia; Post docs are also eligible to apply.
2. Ability to attend lectures and discussions in English; Japanese language skill is preferable.
3. Ability to attend the entire program except the optional tour.
4. Must be in good health.
Application (Please submit the following documents via email)
(a) Application Form
(b) Statement of Purpose (up to 2 pages)
(c) ID photograph
Transportation, accommodation, meals, visa application fee, etc.
Deadline of submission is on April 30, 2017. For application and details, please visit our website:
Japanese Studies and
Intellectual Exchange Department